1. See Roland Barthes by Roland Barthes, trans. Richard Howard (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux 1977), p. 5; Roland Barthes par Roland Barthes (Paris: Seuil, 1975), p. 7: the caption reads "La demande d'amour."
2. See Lynn Gumpert, "The Life and Death of Christian Boltanski," in Christian Boltanski: Lessons of Darkness , ed. Lynn Gumpert and Mary Jane Jacob (Chicago: Museum of Contemporary Art, 1988), p. 59. This catalogue is subsequently cited in the text as LD.
3. Christian Boltanski, interview with Suzanne Pagé in Christian Boltanski-Compositions, exhibition catalogue (Paris: A.R.C. / Musée d'art moderne de la Ville de Paris, 1981), p. 7; cited in Lynn Gumpert's translation in LD 59.
4. See Christian Boltanski, Catalogue, Books, Printed Matter, Ephemera 1966-91, ed. Jennifer Flay, with commentaries by Günter Metken (Cologne: Walther König, 1992), p. 155. This catalogue is subesequently cited as COL.
5. Delphine Renard, "Entretin avec Christian Boltanski," in Boltanski (Paris: Centre Georges Pompidou, 1984), p. 75. This catalogue is subsequently cited in the text as BOL. All trans-lations are my own.