Minutes from the meeting of March 26, 1996:
Minutes taken by Alex Edelman
Writers House 3/26/96
TO ALL: It is crucial that this listserv gains life again. We need to
re-enter a planning, conception phase and it needs to happen now! All
suggestions and comments are welcome.
1) "Big Bang" Event this Thursday 3/28:
- - Advertising:
- - Posters are up; good job to those who made it so
- - Talk to DP (get "in brief")
- - Al will speak with Kara Blond about DP coverage for event
- - Writers House direction signs
- - Refreshments:
- - Henrietta is baking cookies
- - Shawn is bringing refreshments for both
- -Profs and Guests
- - We need a sound system! Shawn will talk to MMETS
- - Scheduling: We MAY split the group and move people upstairs, however
that is not the most desirable option. We will improvise and make
adjustments as the situation warrants. Shawn will be coordinating the
- - Clean-up/Prep crew is coming at 3 pm to prepare the house
- - We have a contingency plan if, to our wonderful surprise, we get a
tremendous audience. If that happens, we will move the reading to the
- - Final Details:
- - Alex will be sending a mass newsgroup advertising for the event
- - Audio/Video recording of event? Shawn will try to get one
- - Shawn will email UTV to see if they can cover this event
2) Al's Report on the financial situation for the house and program:
- - Budget that we drafted in November has been approved.
- - We will need to (via the hub@english listserv) make contingency plans
and flesh out all the details and possible difficulties with the
operation of the house.
- - Due to some delays in making the decision for the budget, we will
probably not be able to open on September 1st. Our best estimates are
one month or so into the Semester.
- - Shawn Walker is committed to being the Resident Coordinator for the
first year of the Writers House.
3) If we do not open as a fully operational house in Fall, what kinds of
events can still go on as "Writers House" events?
- - Someone needs to be in charge of querying spaces around campus for our
use: Marc Leader. Marc needs ideas from we, the hub listserv, about
spaces on campus that are feasible. (eg rooftop lounges, CHATS, Castle,
Van Pelt, outdoors)
- - reconceive ourselves as a "network". Place where Penn students could,
say, access to get information about writing (Alex will update/improve
web page over the summer to help this.)
- - Work on ideas of visiting writers (local and national.) Josh will plan
on which writers to come and when.