- Braille, Ithaca House Press (Ithaca, NY), 1975.
- Seven Works, Figures (Berkeley, CA), 1978.
- a.k.a, Tuumba Press (Berkeley, CA), 1979.
- Primer, This Press (San Francisco), 1981.
- To the Reader, Tuumba Press, 1984.
- The First World, Figures (Great Barrington, MA), 1986.
- Face Value, Roof Press (New York), 1988.
- Captive Audience, Figures, 1988.
- Virtual Reality, Roof Press, 1993.
- The Marginalization of Poetry: Language Writings and Literary History,
Princeton University Press (Princeton, NJ), 1996.
- The Future of Memory, Segue Foundation, 1998.
- Ten to One: Selected Poems, Wesleyan University
Press (Middletown, CT), 1999.
- Playing Bodies, in collaboration with Francie
Shaw, Granary Books (New York), 2003..
- IFLIFE, Roof Books (New York), 2006
- The Alps (produced in San Francisco, 1980), published in
Hills (Berkeley, CA), 1980.
- (Editor) Writing/Talks, Southern Illinois University Press (Carbondale),
- The Trouble with Genius: Reading Pound, Joyce, Stein, and Zukovsky,
University of California Press (Berkeley), 1994.
- With Nagy Rashwan and Nicholas Zurbrugg, The Electronic
(#4, October, 2002, http://www.poetry.org)
- With Peter Nicholls, Textual Practice, Sussex, UK
(Vol. 12, N0. 3,
- With Toh Hsien-Min, The Reader, Oxford (1988); Jacket
(Vol. 16, March
- With Deanna Ferguson, Boo, Vancouver (No. 6, 1996).
- Front Row Politics, review of Reproductions of Banality, Kaplan, Minnesota
UP, in Socialist Review, (Apr June 1988, Vol. 18, No. 2).
- Three Case Histories, review of The Failure of Modernism, Ross, Columbia
UP, in Poetics Journal 7, 1987.
- Exchangeable Frames, review of The Poetics of Indeterminacy, Perloff, Northwestern
UP, and The Political Unconscious, Jameson, Cornell UP, in Poetics Journal
- 1-10, review of 1-10, Watten, This Press, in L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E, Volume Four
(Open Letter, Fifth series, No.1), Ed. Andrews and Bernstein, 1982.
- Plotless Prose, contemporary non narrative prose compared to Stendhal's
travel writing, in Poetics Journal 1, 1982.
- Pound's Legibility Today: Pedagogy and/or Initiation, in Ezra Pound and
Referentiality, ed. Hélène Aji. ( Presses universitaires de
Paris Sorbonne, 2003.)
- Polemical Greeting to the Inhabitants of Utopia, in Assembling Alternatives,
ed. Romana Huk (Wesleyan University Press, 2003).
- Public Conversation with Marjorie Welish, Marjorie Welish from A-Z: Selected
Essays, ed. Aaron Levy. (Slought Books, 2003).
- Self-Portrait with Language Writing, Iowa Review (Vol. 32, No. 1, Spring,
- Introduction to Bottom: On Shakespeare, Louis Zukofsky (Wesleyan UP, 2002).
- "Simplicity and Its Vicissitudes: The Poetry of Charles Reznikoff Today,"
in "The Idea" and the "Thing" in Modernist American Poetry,
ed. Cristina Giorcelli (Ila Palma, Palermo, 2001).
- "Taste Test" [discussion of "complexity" in contemporary
poetry], Journal of the Poetry Society of America, (April, 2000).
- "Exactly: The Poetry of Rae Armantrout," in "A Wild Salience":
The Writing of Rae Armantrout, ed. Tom Beckett and Bobbie West (Lakewood,
OH: Burning Press, 2000).
- Just Like Me: Pound, Cage and pedagogy, EastVillage.com, (Vol. 8, 1999;
[http://www.fauxpress.com/v8.htm]); Poetry & Pedagogy: the Challenge of
the Contemporary, ed. Joan Retallack (St. Martins, forthcoming).
- "The Talk as a Genre," in Close Listening: Poetry and the Performed
Word, ed. Charles Bernstein (Oxford: Oxford UP, 1998); excerpted in Discourse
(Vol. 20. No. 1 & 2, Winter and Spring, 1998).
- "A False Account of Talking with Frank O'Hara and Roland Barthes in
Philadelphia," in Writing the Image, ed. Jean-Michel Rabaté (Philadelphia:
Pennsylvania UP, 1997).
- "Poetry in Theory," in Diacritics (Vol. 26, No. 4, Fall-Winter,
- "An Introduction to Language Writing," in Revue Francaise d'Etudes
Americaines (Paris: February 1996); excerpted in Spanish translation (trans.,
M. C. Exposito) in Nerter (Canary Islands, 1999).
- "Building a More Powerful Vocabulary: Bruce Andrews and the World Trade
Center," in The Arizona Quarterly, (Vol. 50, No. 4, Winter 1994).
- "Parataxis and Narrative: The New Sentence in Theory and Practice,"
in American Literature, (Vol. 65, No. 2, June, 1993); excerpted in The Ends
of Theory, (Wayne State UP, 1996); reprinted complete in Artifice and Indeterminacy:
An Anthology of New Poetics, ed. Christopher Beach (Alabama UP, 1998).
- "Writers' Roundtable Discussion," in Céline, USA: South
Atlantic Quarterly, (Spring, 1994).
- "Write the Power," in American Literary History, (Vol. 6, No.
2, Summer, 1994).
- "The Marginalization of Poetry," in Essays in Postmodern Culture,
(Oxford UP, 1993) and in Postmodern Culture, (Spring, 1991).
- "The First Person" (excerpt), in William Stafford: The Worth of
Local Things, ed. Tom Andrews (Michigan UP, 1993) .
- "Facing the Surface: Representations of Representation," in North
Dakota Quarterly, (Fall 1987, Vol. 55, No. 4).
- "Good and Bad / Good and Evil: Pound, Céline, and Fascism,"
in Poetics Journal 6, 1986.
- Untitled articles on Stein and Zukofsky in The L=A=N=G=U=G=E Book, Ed. Andrews
and Bernstein (Southern Illinois UP, 1984).
- "Words Detached from the Old Song and Dance," in Code of Signals
, Ed. Palmer, (North Atlantic Books, 1983).
- in The Selected Poems of Tomaz Salamun (Ecco Press, 1988).
- and Russian Poetry: The Modern Period (Iowa University Press, 1978).
- Associated Writing Programs Conference, Chicago, March, 2004.
- Keynote: Australian Associated Writing Programs, Sydney, November, 2003.
- Poetry and Global Positing Systems, Maria Glynn-Daniels Lecture, University
of Canberra, November, 2003.
- University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Novermber, 2003.
- There's Something New about The News from Poems, What's New in American
Poetry (the 27th Burdick-Vary Symposium), University of Wisconsin, April,
- Panel discussion: Not to Be Poetical Parody, Mock Ups, & Outright Lies,
Rosenbach Museum, Philadelphia, November, 2002.
- Keynote: Poetry and Philadelphia, at the Philadelphia Poetry Festival, Philadelphia
- Plenary: Pound's Legibility Today: Pedagogy and/or Initiation, at the 3rd
International Ezra Pound Conference, Sorbonne, Paris, June, 2001; Poets House
(NYC), December, 2001.
- Plenary: Dusk of Dawn Revisited: Melvin Tolson and Modernism in the 60s,
at The Opening of the Field: North American Poetry in the 1960s, University
of Maine, June, 2000.
- A Poem as Real as a Lemon: Things in Recent American Poetry, at Transgressing
Boundaries and Strategies of Renewal in American Poetry, Conference at University
of Salamanca, Spain, May, 2000.
- Poetry and Theory, at Poetry as Theory/Theory as Poetry, Conference at University
of Minnesota, April, 2000.
- Plenary Respondent, at The New Modernism, Modernist Studies Conference,
Penn State University, October, 1999.
- The Academy of the Future: Contemporary Poetry and Modernism, at The New
Modernisms, Modernist Studies Conference, Penn State University, October,
- Rae Armantrout and the Objectivists, at The Lyric Tradition Meets Language
Writing [Conference on Contemporary Women's Poetry], Barnard College, April,
1999; at the Twentieth-Century Literature Conference, University of Louisville,
- Simplicity and Its Vicissitudes: The Poetry of Charles Reznikoff Today,
at Between Idea and Thing [Conference on the Objectivists], Università
degli Studi Roma Tre, July, 1998; at Postmodern Poetry: An International Conference,
University of Plymouth (UK), March, 1998.
- Lectures on my poetry, at University of Southampton (UK), April, 1998; at
Contemporary American and English Poetics Conference, Kings College, London,
- Language Writing and Literary History, at St. John's College, Oxford, February,
- The Avant-Garde and the Public Sphere, at JFK Institute, Berlin, January,
- The Avant-Garde Subject, at Conference on Poetics of Avant-Garde Poetries,
University of Tel Aviv, 1997.
- Feminism and Poetry, at Poetry and the Public Sphere Conference, Rutgers
University, 1997; at Ecole Normal Superieure, Fontenay, Paris, 1997.
- The Poetry of Charles Olson and Adrienne Rich, at Modern Language Association,
1996; at University of Maine, 1996; University of Sussex, 1997.
- The African Diaspora and the Poetry of Harryette Mullen, at Modern Language
- Familiar Openings: Avant-Garde Poetics and Progressive Politics, at Assembling
Alternatives Conference, University of New Hampshire, 1996.
- The Talk as a Genre, at University of California at San Diego, 1996.
- This Page is My Page, This Page is Your Page: Gender and Mapping in Contemporary
American Poetry, at Simon Frazer University, Vancouver, 1995.
- Here and Now on Paper: The Avant-garde Particulars of Robert Grenier, at
University of British Columbia, 1995.
- The Contemporary Literary Field, 2-lecture residency at the Kootenay School
of Writing, Vancouver, 1995.
- Language Writing and Literary History, at University of Delaware, 1995.
- Lecture on American poetry, at University of Lisbon, Portugal, 1995.
- Writing and Hypertext, at International Association of Philosophy and Literature,
- The I in William Carlos Williams: Text and Behavior, at American Literature
Association, Baltimore, 1995.
- Theory and Contemporary Poetry, at Associated Writing Programs, Pittsburgh,
- A False Vision of Talking to Frank O'Hara and Roland Barthes in Philadelphia,
at University of Louisville, 1995; University of Southampton, 1994; Cornell
- Building a More Powerful Vocabulary: Poetic Terrorism and Poetic Community,
at Stanford University, 1994.
- Write the Power: Orthography and Politics in Bernstein and Brathwaite, at
State University of New York at Buffalo, 1993; Modern Language Association,
- Parataxis and Narrative: The New Sentence in Theory and Practice, at Cornell
University, 1993; Unit for Criticism, University of Illinois, 1993; Critical
Theory Forum, University of Louisville, 1992.
- A Text Is Being Beaten at the conference, Céline: An American Presence,
Duke University, 1992.
- The Marginalization of Poetry, at the American Comparative Literature Conference,
- Schools of Selves and Other: Language Writers as a Group, at Modern Language
- Parataxis, Schizophrenia, and The New Sentence, at Modern Language Association,
- Language Writing and Audience, Modern Language Association, 1988.
- As Good as the Movies: Sex and History in the Poetry of Ashbery and Ginsberg,
Modern Language Association, 1988.
- Words Detached from the Old Song and Dance [lectures on poetics], 4-night
residency at New Langton Arts, San Francisco, 1977.
POEMS ANTHOLOGIZED IN:
- The Best American Poetry, ed. Lyn Hejinian. (NYC: Scribners, 2004).
- Novi Pesnicki Poredak, eds. Dubravka Duric and Vladimir Kopicl
(Belgrade: Oktoihi, 2001).
- Krydsord, ed. Per Aage Brandt and Niels Frank (Copenhagen: Forfatterskolen,
- À Royaumont: traduction collective 1983-2000, ed.
Françoise Jolimet (Éditions Créaphis [France], 2000).
- Jewish American Poetry, ed, Jonathan N. Barron and Eric Murphy
Selinger (Brandeis University Press, 2000).
- Poesia do Mundo/2, ed. Maria Irene Ramalho de Sousa Santos (Edicões
Afrontamento [Portugal], 1998).
- The Best of the Best American Poetry, ed. Harold Bloom (Scribners,
- Onward: Contemporary Poetry and Poetics, ed. Peter Baker (Peter
- American Poets Say Goodbye to the 20th Century, ed. Andrei Codrescu
and Laura Rosenthal (Four Walls Eight Windows, 1996).
- Poems for the Millennium: The University of California Book of Modern
and Postmodern Poetry, ed. Pierre Joris and Jerome Rothenberg (Berkeley:
University of California Press, 1995).
- Anthology of Postmodern Poetry: A Norton Anthology, ed. Paul Hoover
- From the Other Side of the Century: A New American Poetry 1960-90,
ed. Douglas Messerli (Sun and Moon Press, 1994).
- La Lengua Radical: Antologia de la poesia norteamericana contemporanea,
ed. Esteban Pujals Gesali (Gramma Poesia, Madrid, 1992).
- The Best American Poetry, 1991, ed. Mark Strand (Scribners).
- The Best American Poetry, 1989, ed. Donald Hall (Scribners).
- The Best American Poetry, 1988, ed. John Ashbery (Scribners).
- "Language" Poetries, ed. Douglas Messerli (New Directions,
- Annual Survey of American Poetry: 1986 (Poetry Anthology Press).
- In the American Tree, ed. Ron Silliman (National Poetry Foundation,
- 21 + 1" Poetes américains d'aujourd'hui, ed. Emmanuel
Hocquard and Claude Royet Journoud (Delta, 1986).