Early Recorded Works
Homemade Tapes, 1975-1976
Accused Cassette, 1975
Accused (45:06): MP3
In 1974, City College’s History Department erupted into
a bitter political dispute in which older faculty members Stanley
Page, Edward Rosen and others accused their younger colleagues
of disruptive leftist agitation. In this work, I perform the
1975 CUNY faculty senate report on the matter.
2. Afternoon Tape (28:34): MP3
interrupts Phyllis; it's caught on tape.
Greg and Charles reflect
on the problem.
1. #4: a portrait of one
being in family living (1975)
- Casablanca (collage)
- father: speech
- David Cooper (the family)
- narriative (“why can’t it")
- Casablanca (“one woman …”)
- narrative (on O! Pioneers)
- parents (“my jewells”)
- narrative (“valued you too much”)
- David Cooper (paranoia)
- Billie Holliday (tyring)
- Casablanca (insistence)
- Billie Holiday (beaten)
- narrative (alone, my fear)
- Billie Holliday (what?)
- Poe (from Pym)
- Fats Waller
- Poe (in the light ahead)
"#4" is featured,
alongside a transcrption by Danny Snelson, in "Counting Each Step of the Sun."
2. Class (1975)
the title track on the cassette Class; stereo recording
(note: earlier digital version was mono). Go to Class PennSound
page for details. Michael Hennessey on "Class."
- Early Poems (4:15): MP3
- to be an married (0:40): MP3
- Asylum (from Asylums) (11:35): MP3
- Lo Disfruto (from Poetic Justice) (8:04): MP3
- My/My/My (from Asylums) (11:13): MP3
[single track feed for Class version]
- Three-voice Performance of Sentences from Parsing (1975)
(Bernstein, Susan Bee, Greg Ball) (6:56): MP3
- Asylums/Parsing medley (with Bernstein, Susan
Bee and Greg Ball) (1975) (11:51): MP3
- Coco-Rimbay (1975) (Bernstein & Edmund
Chibeau) (13:40): MP3
- Sen-Sen (1975) (Bernstein, Chibeau, Bee) (4:34): MP3
- Goodnight (from Class)
(1976) (0:53): MP3
- My/My/My (from Class)
(1976) (4:57): MP3
A selection of these works was included in Class, a
casette publication from 1982
issued by Widemouth Tapes. (Initial digial
version of this tape on UBU was in mono.) Class included
five works. See the PennSound Class page
for more details.
(Breathing), 1976 (Stereo, 7:00)
with Susan Bee [Laufer] & Greg
1969 (3:00): original release: MP3;
2009 remaster: MP3
1976 (Stereo, 5:00)
1976 (Stereo, 10:30)
1976 (Stereo, 1:00)
Produced for PennSound
in collaboration with Ubuweb.
Stereo digitial versions
of these early tape works engineered by Danny Snelson in 2009.
These recordings are being
made available for noncommercial and educational use only. All
rights to this recorded material belong to the author. © 2009
Charles Bernstein. Used with permission of Charles Bernstein.
Distributed by PennSound.