1. Charles Bernstein "A Defense of Poetry" - From My Way: Speeches and Poems (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1999). Charles Bernstein recorded by Chris Funkhouser and Belle Gironda, 27 July 1994, Monterey, Mass. MP3 (5:12), text (from Cybergraphia)
4. Lauren Gudath & Jay Schwartz - "You See What's Evident" - Lauren Gudath: voice / Jay Schwartz: electronics and recording / Vanessa Wang: synthesizers MP3 (1:48)
5. Will Alexander - "A National Day in Bangladesh" - Text originally
published in Caliban #10, 1991, Lawrence R. Smith, ed. Will Alexander
recorded by Chris Funkhouser August 1993 at The Grassy Knoll, Los Angeles. MP3
7. Allen Ginsberg - HUM BOM - Allen Ginsberg recorded by Chris Funkhouser, 22 April 1994, Hudson, New York (Columbia-Greene Community College). The original version of "HUM BOM" appeared in The Fall of America (City Lights, 1972); this extended version was published in Cosmopolitan Greetings (Harper Collins, 1994). Used by permission of the Allen Ginsberg Trust. MP3 (3:06)
8. Hannah Weiner - from "May from the Journal in June" - Hannah
Weiner, poet and reader; Sharon Mattlin & Rochelle Kraut, readers. Produced
and recorded by Charlie Morrow. Poetry © Charles Bernstein for Hannah Weiner
in trust; recording © 2001 Charles Morrow Associates, Inc., New York
10. Kristen Gallagher - "What Is Language For?" - "What Is Language For?" is compiled from responses to that question, made by various people encountered while walking around Philadelphia with a DAT recorder and microphone. Assistance from Joseph Taylor, Jr, WXPN of Philadelphia. MP3 (1:32)
12. Andrew Levy & Gerry Hemingway - "CURVE Black Plateau" - Gerry Hemingway: percussion & electronics / Andrew Levy: voice. Recorded 4/19/95, Roulette, New York City. Text from Curve (Oakland: O Books, 1994). MP3 (2:20)
13. Bobbie West - "Perforation" - Recorded spring, 2001. MP3 (0:43)
16. Amiri Baraka - "Wooden Negroes Appear at a Slam" and several "Low Coups" - Amiri Baraka recorded at his home in Newark, New Jersey, by Chris Funkhouser, 9 July 2001. "Wooden Negroes..." appears in XCP: Cross-Cultural Poetics #9. MP3 (5:08)
17. Groundzero Telesonic Outfit International - "Chapter Zero: coordinacion."
19. Purkinge - "Bonne chance" - Purkinge (Charles Baldwin, Eric Douglas,
Chris Funkhouser, Belle Gironda) recorded and mixed by Chris Funkhouser, July 1994, Albany, New York.
This segment was taken from the tape used during the group's performance at the 1994 Lollapalooza
These sound recordings are being made available for noncommercial and educational use only. All rights to this recorded material belong to the authors. © 2004 Kenning participants and Leslie Scalapino. Used with permission of Kenning participants and Leslie Scalapino. Distributed by PennSound.